Age Question / Ole Maud

Fri Jul 25 11:34:01 EDT 2008

Ray,

Enjoyed your description of the sounds that moonlit night. Speaking of
Link locations, last winter I was driving along the road that follows the
old Virginia Creeper line up into North Carolina. I was particularly
interested in seeing if the store/post office at Husk/Nella was still
there. I love that transient on The Fading Giant where "Jimbo, the hound
of Husk." chimes in to provide a counterpoint to the whistle of the
Virginia Creeper.

Well, the store is still there, a little worse for wear. Don't think it's
open any more. And I'm sure Jimbo has moved on.

I've attached couple of photos. In the picture of the store, the sign by
the road says "The Old Husk Store." The "city" sign is located on the
opposite side of the road.

Sam Putney

[moderator: images at following URLs on our website:
http://nwhs.org/qna/photos/20080725.DSCF6743.1.JPG
http://nwhs.org/qna/photos/20080725.DSCF6740.1.JPG]

Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:20 PM
Subject: RE: Age Question / Ole Maud

I thought of OWL in the middle of the night last Monday:

It was a very bright and hot moon-lit night in the Ellett Valley near
Blacksbury along the former VGN. About 1:30am an eastbound came down the
mountain and gave the customary two longs, a short, and a long for the
crossing just above Ellett. The horn was in serious trouble.. sounded
somewhat like a straining Electrolux vacuum cleaner. Immediately, a coyote
in the distance let out a chilling yell and was soon joined by a choir of
coyotes all yelling in response to the horn. This lasted about a minute and
then silence. I immediately thought of the Christmas 1957 OWL recording.
Needless to say, this will not rival it but it was an entertaining event.

The former VGN west of Roanoke continues to be quite active because of
the tunnel work on the Heartland Corridor. We have about 18 trains a day,
about half each way. The passing track at Fagg is often in use.

On another matter, I have enjoyed the talk on this site about the webcam
at Hotel Roanoke which is operated by the Virginia Tech Foundation. We are
still getting some kinks out but use is heavy and we are glad it has been
so well received. And I was told today that over 60 railfan packages with a
room overlooking the tracks have been sold in the first month of the railcam.

Ray Smoot