N&W in 1907 -- 2 cent fare

Fri Jul 25 19:24:19 EDT 2008

For what it is worth, in 1987, a buddy and I rode Amtrak on a great
circuitous route around the country from Charlotte NC to Seattle and back
(it was our spring break while in college). I think the rail pass was about
$275; our total mileage was probably around 7000+ miles. That's about $.04 a
mile. I don't think I could handle 10 straight days of coach seating
anymore, what a deal back then!

BTW: they still had unreserved dome seating on the Capitol Limited then and
the Superliner coaches on the Western trains were practically new. I believe
we had Heritage passenger coaches on the Crescent and Amfleet on the
Cardinal.

Mike Weeks

Charlotte