Of scrap diesels and such

Tue Aug 19 13:51:00 EDT 2008

I can understand both sides of the preservation vs. non preservation of some items.  I was obsessed with preserving an N&W signal before I was ever a signal maintainer.  I did that.  Now, it doesn't bother me to see an old N&W signal get scrapped.  They are old, rusty, dangerous, an absolute nightmare to work on, and impossible to get parts for.  Climbing one of these things is a terror in itself, even with the proper safety gear.

I can understand why Mr. Lisle doesn't have a soft place in his heart for that particular diesel, especially since he has ridden in many, and no doubt that particular one at some point.  Its the same way with me working on signals.  I can tolerate preservation, but I honestly don't have the enthusiasm for it that I used to.

I used to think that one of each for everything was worth preserving, but now I don't know.  Can we save every class of diesel?  With GE's "alphabet soup" as trains magazine called it one time, there are so many varieties of these things out there, how can they all be saved, even one of each?  There's a fine line there, and I don't know exactly where it is.

If this is the oldest existing diesel to receive NS markings, then maybe.  I would like to see the last N&W diesel to arrive in N&W paint preserved, but I don't even know what it was or whether it exists now or not.  I presume it had the "skunk" scheme.  But, diesels aren't my specialty.

So, let the debates continue!  This is interesting.

Ben Blevins
Signalman