Superheaters and Throttle Linkage

Mon Aug 25 15:23:41 EDT 2008

I've read somewhere that the front end throttle was developed (at
least partly) to solve the problem of superheater tubes burning out
because they were empty of steam when steam dome located throttles
were closed. (The steam ran from the throttle valve through the
superheater and then into the cylinders.) The front end throttles
were downstream from the superheaters, so the heaters were always full
of steam.

The tube burning issue probably related to the way a particular class
of locos was operated and the degree of superheat. I THINK that later
locos had higher degrees of superheat and most likely longer tubes
more susceptible to burning out.

The multiple-valve front end throttles may have been easier to
operate, particularly at higher pressures (although I THINK that most/
all dome-located throttle valves were "balanced" , so engineers didn't
have to work against boiler pressure).

pete groom