Superheaters and Throttle Linkage

Mon Aug 25 16:57:43 EDT 2008

The reason that superheater tubes would burn out is that the heat of the
hot, burning gasses from the firebox must be carried away from the steel of
the tubes by the movement of a fluid through them, in this case the steam
itself. Without some sort of mass flow through the superheater tubes, the
tubes will quickly heat up from the transfer of heat to them from the
exhaust gases. This will be in the order of 2500-3000 degrees F exhaust gas
temperature. And the tubes will heat up to that temperature.

Just having the superheater full of steam is not sufficient as the heat
energy must be moved out of the tubes so that the tube does not overheat and
burn/melt.

The boiler is different as the flues are covered with liquid water and any
heat is going into the water to turn it into vapor or a gas (steam).
Excessive heat shows up as popping the pressure relief valves and venting
steam to atmosphere.

So, a locomotive drifting down hill for a long period of time with any type
of throttle that is essentially closed will cause the superheater flues to
heat up perhaps to a serious temperature. But, the crew should have
reduced the fire and left the throttle cracked to keep the steam moving and
to keep the cylinder condensation minimized or eliminated via the blow offs.

So, yes, the front end throttle can help 'some' but the problem doesn't go
away that readily. Theoretically, a system that bled steam through the
superheater tubes and back into the boiler steam dome might do the trick if
one could generate the pressure drop across the superheater flues to get the
steam to flow. This is not actually very easy to so. Venting the
superheater to atmosphere while the throttle was closed would be quite
wasteful.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____