James N. Gillum

Thu Nov 20 20:16:43 EST 2008

Jim Gillum's death has deeply touched me in several ways. I remember him as being his usual vigorous self just a few months ago at the monthly NWHS Archives work sessions. His rapid decline and death reminds me how tenuous life can be for all of us.

I have lost a number of good friends down through the years, but I must say that Jim's untimely passing has caused a greater void for me than some other friends that I have known much longer. It's hard to imagine the Archives without Jim present.

Jim was truly the "father" of the NWHS Archives. The Archives is what it is today because of him. His talent extended from a grand vision of what the Archives should be down to assuring that there was an adequate supply of such things as file folders and even coffee and cleaning supplies. He not only committed an inordinate amount of his time on Archives matters, but he contributed generously of his personal resources.

I understand that the NWHS Board has taken commendable action to designate the Archives as the James N. Gillum Archives and that Jim was pleased to learn of this while he was alive.

Gordon Hamilton