southern merger

Wed Dec 31 15:36:18 EST 2008

The Southern Ry ran 3 passenger trains over the N&W during the late 50's and 1960's using EMD cab passenger diesels (4-axles and 6-axles) from Bristol, Va. to Monroe, Va. I lived in Bristol during the 70's/early 80's and remember a Southern NW2 switcher in the N&W yard occasionally, it interchanged cars from the old V&SW yard which paralled Commonwealth Blvd. I think, but I may be wrong, the N&W and Southern kept their diesels dedicated until 1985. I'm not sure about other parts of the N&W system.
Dave G.