N&W in 1908--Two fatalities [and Dead Man's Cut]

Thu Jan 1 09:13:30 EST 2009

My book, "Coalwood", contains a published history of Fred Vogelsong who was
agent at Coalwood from 1923 until beyond his interview in 1943. Prior to
moving to Coalwood Vogelsong was a relief telegraph operator working between
Bluefield and Williamson. In 1914 Vogelsong was working in Northfork and
courting his future wife who was a telephone operator in Keystone. An
excerpt from page 23 of "Coalwood":

... Fred relates how he would travel to Keystone from Northfork about two
nights a week by following the railroad through "Dead Man's Cut" which was
the steep embankment that separated the two communities. On approaching the
the cut at night he would stop and listen to any noises coming from
trackside. Often he would hear arguing or fighting. He would just sit down
and wait until all was quiet again... That excerpt was followed by this
note:

(Note: Dead Man's Cut had a notorious history of 318 men murdered before
the N&W quit tabulating the deaths. Most victims were robbed, knocked
unconscious, and their bodies thrown on the tracks to be run over by the
trains.)

In 1912 a small book was published under the pseudonym, Virginia Lad, titled
"Sodom and Gomorrah of Today or the History of Keystone West Virginia". I
have always found it interesting the Virginia Lad felt he had to do six
months of on-site research to ensure he could provide an accurate account of
life in Keystone.

In the early 1900s the merchants of Keystone would pay the N&W to run
special trains up North Fork Branch and to Maybeury on Saturday to ensure
the families (read miners) had a way to Keystone and back for "shopping".
Up until about 1920 Keystone was the major commercial center in McDowell
County.

Alex Schust
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:14 PM
Subject: RE: N&W in 1908--Two fatalities