Looking for turntable plans/dimensions

Wed Mar 4 00:43:49 EST 2009

I find myself in need of a couple 80' turntables, with nothing avaiable
commercially. I'm building my HO scale layout, and need 2 turntables
11" in diameter, which works out to almost exactly 80'. Sine there are
no commercially available models in that size, and hose that are
available are rather expensive anyway, I'll be building them myself.

That leads me to my question for these various groups. Are there any
plans, drawings, or other useful dimensions available for an 80' table?
I'm most interested in US or at least North American practice,
Southern Ry. prototype would be ideal. I'm somewhat fond of the Sellers
turntables, but I'm not sure if they were ever made in 80' lengths. If
I cannot find any specific plans, I'll have to guestimate the depth of
the girders and pit, as well as the overall design. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenneth Rickman
Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

"Once admit that human life can be guided by reason, and all possibility
of life is annihilated" - Leo Tolstoy