N&W in 1909--Many improvements

Wed Mar 11 15:25:56 EDT 2009

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
May 16, 1909

MANY IMPROVEMENTS ON NORFOLK AND WESTERN
------
Much Double-Tracking in Progress--Several Trains Affected by Rumored Change of Schedule

That the Norfolk and Western is meeting its competition is very evident by the numerous reports of improvements in roadbed, service and schedule. The company is double-tracking its line between Norfolk and Petersburg, which will be completed in the early summer, and a large force of men are at work double tracking the road between Mateway and Iaeger, which improvements are of great benefit. In addition to this there are under construction six tunnels, which will be rapidly rushed to completion. Another great advantage will come from the straightening of the road on the Pocahontas and Scioto divisions, which, it is said, will save many miles. Another great change, as rumor has it, will be in the new schedule which will run No. 17 and No. 18 between Bluefield and Norfolk instead of Roanoke and Bluefield and No. 1 and No. 2 between Bluefield and Williamson instead of Bluefield and Gary. No. 3 and No. 4 will be fast trains east of Roanoke. This change, if it should take place, will affect the Pullman car schedule between Philadelphia and Gary, doing away with the Gary lay-over by going on to Williamson. According to this the Pullman will leave Philadelphia about one hour and a half later than at present, but arrive in this city on the same time.
------
[I Ever since I became aware of the Pullman car that terminated at Gary, I have thought that it was rather unique having Pullman service terminating at such a small town.]

Gordon Hamilton