Steam questions

Sun Nov 8 00:33:58 EST 2009

Alright gang I'm back with more questions, Both are for the most part
quick and hopefully simple. First what orientation did N&W prefer for
the throttles of their steam locomotives? Horizontal or Vertical? I
think the J and A both had Vertical oriented but I am not sure if that
was N&W preference of just what they used on those locomotives for some
reason.

Second Question is a little harder but I feel it will be easy for
someone to answer. In listening to Link's recording of Y6 working
Waynesboro, at time I hear a distinct "thump thump thump" that is
rythimic then it quits then it does it again. It does not sound like a
Cross Compound to me so I am buffaloed as to what it is, Feedwater pump
perhaps? I head the same sound in Hooters on Blues ridge when there is a
Y doing Switching at Blue Ridge. It happens while the locomotive is
still moving but the throttle seems to be closed and the engine coasting.

Thanks ahead of time,
Nathan

--
Nathan Simmons