Steam questions

Sun Nov 8 06:35:48 EST 2009

N&W used vertical or "grapevine" throttle levers on all the locomotives equipped with front end throttles, which included all the As, Js Y-5s, Y-6s, Y-6as and Y-6bs. The K-1s were equipped with vertical throttle levers that operated the dome throttle through an external throttle rod. This was not a matter of preference, but of practical application to the problem.

That rhythmic "thump-thump-thump" was the sound of the exhaust of the air pumps. It could not be heard if the locomotive was working hard, but only if the throttle was closed or nearly so.

EdKing