Jawn Henry Boiler

Sun Nov 8 08:18:19 EST 2009

I've attached a copy of the boiler information from my Operator's Manual. If you've been around high pressure boilers (i.e., US Navy), this description may help you picture the boiler.

Steve Watson
VaBeach, VA

Mr. Watson;
I thank you sir for responding and especially for the attachment of the 2300 boiler opt. Manual. I will make copy for my personal files.
I graduated from the U.S. Navy class A Boiler School, Great Lakes, Ill. in 1958.
I spent 4 very enjoyable years on Destroyers with "M" type boilers. My experience with this type boiler gave reason for my question. I new that the "M" was equipped with two oil burning fire boxes, one for saturated steam, and the other for superheated steam. I also reasoned that the close vertical tube configuration from the steam drum to the mud drums would present a trap for cinders and soot, as would have been a similar problem in the stack exhaust as the gasses past the economizers ( feed water heaters). I also knew that if the turbines were not turning, the super heater side had to be either secured, or an amount of steam allowed to pass to prevent the SH tubes from giving way. I could see how a high pressure water tube boiler could be reconfigured, but I could not reason that an "M" marine boiler could have just been set in place on the locomotive. I would very much like to see a drawing. Mr. Newton suggested that such a drawing is available in the N&W archives. I will attempt to find out how I can have access to the drawings.

Thank you;
Gene Arnold
Gloucester, Va.