Heartland Tunnels

Sun Aug 29 14:15:52 EDT 2010

The July 1950 issue of the N&W Magazine proclaimed the new double-track Elkhorn Tunnel to be as follows, "...its inside dimensions of 32 feet in height and 31 feet in width make it the largest of its type in the world."

Apparently, no modifications were required for double stacks.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:54 AM
Subject: Heartland Tunnels

This website lists all of the various tunnels in the heartland projeect.
Click on the tunnel and the report should appear.

Alex Schust

http://www.efl.fhwa.dot.gov/files/projects/heartland/site-map/index.html

I have really enjoyed looking at this site and the tunnel portals.
I could not find the mile long Elkhorn tunnel, I thought that it was near Maybeury, W. Va.
What am I missing, or was it left out for some reason?
Thanks;
Gene A.