N&W Cripple Creek Extension

Fri Nov 19 13:06:05 EST 2010

Alex and Bruce,

Thanks so much for the input.  Those online 1984 New River Symposium proceedings was fantastic!  Now all I need is a 1882-1887  map of the branch and where were the outcrops of iron ore.  The USGS Digital Lib has images of many of those furnaces listed like Pulaski, Nobel, etc.  Would the have called the ore region Cripple Creek or Flat Top or New River ranges?  Back to Google searching on Jed. Hotchkiss and The Virginias journals again.

Does anyone know what happened to the Iron furnaces of Virginia website?  It was last updated in 2006.  I tried to submit to join the discussion group . . . . but nothing happened.

In 1882 the Virginia iron furnaces had a serious total cost advantage over their northern counterparts . . . mainly due to the cost of making coke vs. northern Michigan charcoal.  I would guess that advantage disappeared after they started to just ship the ore down to Indiania and use the same coke from Kentucky and the Virginias up there.  Then they just mined out the easy surface ore down there in Virginia and got into the costs of shaft mining.

Al Kresse