N&W Cripple Creek Extension

Sat Nov 20 19:26:00 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Al wrote:

> Thanks so much for the input. Those online 1984 New River Symposium

> proceedings was fantastic! Now all I need is a 1882-1887 map of the branch

> and where were the outcrops of iron ore.

Ask and you shall receive. The New River-Cripple Creek Mineral Region of
Virginia by Andrew S. McCreath and Edward V. d'Invilliers, published in
1887, contained a map of the region. The Virginia Tech library has this
book, with map, which I scanned in sections a couple of years ago. See
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bharper/nwrwy/ncbr.html for a small image of the
map, which links to a larger image (a 12.1 MB file). I've checked out the
book again and will rescan the map; I've got a better set-up for scanning
and have since learned about photomerge in Photoshop.

Bruce in Blacksburg