C&O 614 to VMT

Thu Dec 9 10:10:04 EST 2010

Please let me add my 2 cents to shed additional light on the "most modern
steam locomotive" issue.

1) As built in the 1950's the last N&W J's benefitted from additional years
of engineering advancement, when compared with the 1948 C&O 614.

2) However, as part of the ACE program the C&O 614 was highly modified in
the early 1980's, again benefitting from several more decades of engineering
advancement.
Hope this helps.

Patrick Whalen
Berlin, MD