C&O 614 to VMT

Thu Dec 9 13:15:49 EST 2010

Patrick,

C&O 614 was not modified for the ACE tests unless you consider addition of
instrumentation a modification. This is and the general condition of the
locomotive was why the performance of 614 during the ACE tests was so
poor. The best information on the 614 test can be found in David Wardale's
book "The Red Devil and other tales of the age of steam" it is out of print
and pricey now.

John Rhodes.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM, NW Mailing List
<nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>wrote:

> Please let me add my 2 cents to shed additional light on the "most modern

> steam locomotive" issue.

> 1) As built in the 1950's the last N&W J's benefitted from additional

> years of engineering advancement, when compared with the 1948 C&O 614.

> 2) However, as part of the ACE program the C&O 614 was highly modified in

> the early 1980's, again benefitting from several more decades of engineering

> advancement.

> Hope this helps.

> Patrick Whalen

> Berlin, MD

>> Was 614 the last steam *passenger* locomotive built in the U.S.?

>> Just asking.

>> Frank Bongiovanni

>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM, NW Mailing List <

>>> Jimmy, thanks for the reply. I stand corrected. It's funny that you

>>> ended your message with the "self destruct" passage from "Mission

>>> Impossible", as I got into broadcasting after being furloughed from Norfolk

>>> Southern. I do a lot of radio/tv commercials, as well as voiceover work for

>>> The History Channel, etc. So getting to the point, My last voice work was

>>> to read a fake "Mission Impossible" opening for the City of Virginia Beach's

>>> cable channel. John Katz, Virginia Beach

>>> Subject: Re: C&O 614 to VMT

>>> Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:20:25 -0500

>>> *"If somebody read another article that added the qualifier "the most

>>> modern commercially built steam locomotive", then produce that article, or

>>> were you just ticked because I insulted the lame stream media."*

>>> **

>>> Mr. Phelps,

>>> Yes, there was an article that specifically said that the 614 was the

>>> "last commercially built locomotive in America". When I first read the

>>> blurb, I thought the same way you did. Then after reading it over the

>>> "commercially" qualifier finally registered in my mind, so I let it go at

>>> that.

>>> Now, whether or not it was the very "last commercially built

>>> locomotive", I have no idea. Where said article is, I also have no idea. I

>>> came across it via a link to some on-line forum to which I don't subscribe.

>>> "This message will self destruct in five seconds"

>>> Jimmy Lisle

>>> To change your subscription go to

>>> Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at

John Rhodes