Classic Trains Summer 2011 question

Thu May 5 11:51:04 EDT 2011

Hey Roger

That is correct, Shawsville Tunnel, daylighted in 1990-91. I shot 1218 coming west there, as the last steam train through the tunnel in 1990.

Interesting that they had No. 4 running eastbound on normal westbound, must have been someone stuck on the normal eastbound, the dispatcher must have crossed him over at Arthur after stopping for Christiansburg, depending on what was stuck and where, they probably crossed back over at Singer, or Glenvar, but they could run all the way into Roanoke on the normal westbound main. A lot would depend on the day of the week too, if the Salem Shifter was working, that might occupy the normal westbound main at Salem about this time of morning.

To the younger folks here, there was no "Main 1" or "Main 2" in those days, it was "westbound main", "eastbound main". If it was, I never heard it on the radio, or from my father.

Ken Miller