Classic Trains Summer 2011 question

Fri May 6 14:45:21 EDT 2011

The Virginia and Tennessee had to cut 2 tunnels through the mountain area near Shawsville as it climbed the 1.345% grade up the mountain to Christiansburg. The eastern most of these tunnels was known originally as Little Tunnel and was 265 ft. long. 5 miles west is the second tunnel of 663 ft. in length, It was originally was known as Big Tunnel. When the railway was double tracked Little Tunnel (Shawsville Tunnel) was widened, Instead of widening Big Tunnel (Montgomery Tunnel) to accommodate double track the railway constructed a second parallel tunnel. I don't remember the year, but I recollect it to be in the early 1990's, NS decided to create a route for Double Stacks from Norfolk via the Bristol line to the South and Mid-west over connecting former Southern lines. To provide clearances for Double Stacks these tunnels needed modification. NS day-light Shawsville Tunnel and razed the roof on the westbound tunnel at Montgomery.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR