Hollins College business car in excursion service

Tue May 17 09:13:06 EDT 2011

The Hollins College was not used in regular excursion service. It was already an office car.

However, in August 1982, it was part of the train that went behind diesels from Roanoke to Birmingham, then the 611 brought the train north, running to Atlanta, Salisbury and finally to Roanoke. I spent one night on the car going to Birmingham, then my room was switched to the "Elkhorn Tunnel" as it was dubbed.

I'm not sure when it lost its Norfolk and Western lettering.

Ken Miller

It was used only occasionally as part of