New York and Long Branch

Mon Aug 8 12:47:31 EDT 2011

Rails Remembered, in the Arrow, includes time spent riding trains of the NY&LB.? I lived there for the first 15 years of my life, and would like to add to the content of the article.? The southern end of the line was a model RR style loop at Bay Head; and the loop is still there !? During steam days, all NY&LB trains started their northbound journey from Bay head; the loop included many storage tracks for staging.? The land would be valuable real estate; but probably would need extensive remediation before it could be sold for residential use.? Bay Head is an upscale seashore town; the?loop property would be worth many millions.
?
The PRR locomotive change?took place at South Amboy, on the south side of the Raritan River.? It was also the eastern end of the legendary (and sometimes infamous) Camden and Amboy RR.? The combined PRR--CNJ trackage extended north across the Raritan River on a low trestle w/ swingbridge,?through Perth Amboy; and separated at a junction north of that town.? The CNJ tracks continued north to Elizabethport (a junction), then turned east to the terminal at Jersey City.? The PRR tracks turned northwest, through Woodbridge, then joined the PRR main just south of Rahway.
?
That junction, still in use, was interesting.? The four track main was elevated; the tracks from the NY&LB
increased from two to three, and entered the junction from below, at three different points.
?
Today, all commuter trains use the ex-PRR tracks; many of the trains are electric MU's (originating at Long Branch); locomotive drawn trains from Bay head terminate at PRR's station at Newark? New York bound commuters can finish their journey by changing either to a NJT train to Penn Station; or by changing to PATH (today's name for the original 'Hudson Tubes').
?
Anyway; loved the article and the chance to remember my early years.
?
Jerry Crosson (now residing in Missouri)..?