Thu Dec 1 08:44:10 EST 2011

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eleven of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We talked about the
current unemployment rates and the fact that Norfolk Southern is now
hiring new workers. NS' news releases indicate that they need 500 new
employees in eight states by the end of 2011, to meet the growing demand
for freight train service and to replace employees retiring in coming
years. They are hiring conductors, machinists, signal maintainers,
freight car repairmen, and track workers.

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the Fall, 2011 "NRHS
Bulletin", mostly about western roads. Also passed around was Gordon
Hamilton's most recent "Bluefield Daily Telegraph" article of 2-28-12
about a young VGN brakeman being killed when his brake-stick broke,
causing him to fall in front of a car while he was "dropping" cars in
the yard at Princeton. I asked the Brethren if they had ever heard of a
similar incident happening during their careers. William Scott said it
must not have been a hickory brake-stick like the ones he used. He
remembers actually "dropping one once and a box car ran up on it, only
making some splinters, but it did not break".

My oldest son is a gunsmith and enjoys taking an old rusty, worn-out
firearm and bringing it back to life. Recently he did just that to a
Stevens 12-gage pump shot gun marked "Illinois Central". This prompted
me to see if I could find a shot gun marked "Virginian". I did just that
when my good friends H.B., and his wife Anne Bryant, from Sedley, VA
visited the Virginia Museum of Transportation at the "Virginian Railway
Day" recently. We were discussing VGN artifacts and the shot gun came
up. H. B.'s double barrel has "VGN RY." stamped on the forearm and "VGN
RY. CO." stamped just above the triggers, on the stock. I showed the
Brethren photos of the Bryant double barrel and the actual "Illinois
Central" riot shot gun in the parking lot of the restaurant. Anybody out
there in the Virginian Nation know of any other guns marked "VGN RWY"?

The ebay report this time includes the following VGN items sold: GE
Painting and Lettering Diagram for EL-Cs for $22.50; "Virginian Rails"
by Reisweber for $32.87; "Virginian in Color" for $47.96; New Haven
ex-VGN EL-C slide for $34.99; VGN Trust Plate for $60.00; and the "buy
of the year" (I was "sniped" at the last minute) a VGN short globed
(marked "VGN RY") lantern for $230.01.

On Tuesday this week I was visiting R. R. McDaniel at his home and
Greely Wyatt came by. We had a great time discussing the "old days".
Greely remembered as a lad, hauling produce from his farm home in
Pineville, WV "over the mountain and up the hollers" selling at mining
camps like Glen Rogers and Tams. He said that the coal at Tams was so
black that "some of it was used in making indelible ink and that rumor
had it Mr. Tams was such a taskmaster, he allowed no chairs for his
clerks...they were to stand up, and work all day". Russell McDaniel
commented on some of this during the meeting last night. He recalled at
Glen Rogers, "smokeless coal briquettes were compressed from ground up
coal and clay, to be used in home stoves and furnaces".

The Jewel from the Past is from August 11, 2005: "Jimmy Whittaker
recalled once a yard brakeman was going from the top of one car to
another, and fell into a coal hopper full of 'animal guts' to be
delivered to a company on Tinker Creek in Roanoke, that made soap. Wis
Sowder said that his cousin told him about seeing Buffalo Bill Cody's
Wild West Show, when they visited Mahar Field across from the Virginian
Yard. (Note: This may have been October, 1916 when the VGN took the
train east, out of Roanoke after the N&W refused, because of condition
of equipment, and it wrecked at VGN Mile Post 141 near Abilene; see H.
Reid's book, pages 58-59 for the story). Keith Sowder said one of the
Indian Chief's wives had requested a drink of water on the trip into
Roanoke. The Chief obliged. When she asked the second time, he returned
empty handed. When asked 'Why?', he responded 'White man sitting on
spring'".

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon