N&W moving coal

Thu May 3 10:18:59 EDT 2012

Thanks to Louis Newton for outlining the way the N&W moved coal.
I have a few questions (anyone who knows can answer, this isn't directed to Mr. Newton):
"...Some mines used Z1's etc because of track restrictions..." What types of restrictions?
"...would leave half of their train at Farm and doublehead over the grade...? How would the rest of the train get there? Did they leave it at the next yard and come back for it?
And this one may not be in the article but I have heard that through-freights would fill out their tonnage with coal... Which end of the train would the hoppers most likely be on or in the middle?
thank you all for helping a person who didn't get to watch the railroad I love doing its job.
Michael Shockley
N&W Guyandotte Division