N&W moving coal

Thu May 3 17:00:54 EDT 2012

And this one may not be in the article but I have heard that
through-freights would fill out their tonnage with coal... Which end of the train would
the hoppers most likely be on or in the middle?

N&W did add a coal filler to certain through-freights. In N&W terms,
they were "Bull Dogs".

N&W's "Freight Train Schedules and Classifications" will show you the
priority and the
position of the coal.(I can't find mine) for certain scheduled freight
trains
.
From Scioto Division Time Table No. 10 (eff. 4/29/56), the fair
weather tonnage rating for
A;s, Y-5's and Y-6's was 6500 tons Williamson to Portsmouth, but for
Bull Dogs and No. 89,
it was increased to 10,000 tons. Harry Bundy