End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

Wed Oct 24 07:02:33 EDT 2012

Hi Rob, The ex VGN, NH, PC, CR EL-C I believe is still in Saybrook yard(read-"junk yard"). I don't know any immediate plans for it but it will have to move by rail to Waterbury/Thomaston.
To visit the site, take Rte. ! to Rte. 154 North (Middlesex Tpke) in Olde Saybrook, go North on it, under the Tpke and about an other mile maybe, past some auto dealerships to a Y in the road. The road on the left is Bokum Rd., there's a small skate park in the fork in the road. Go North on Bokum maybe 1000 feet or so and just before the Connecticut Light and Power substation on the left you'll see the remains of the Museum's storage yard. I believe the EL-C is still there.
I haven't been active in over a year but I know that a 2nd rail move to Thomaston is in the works-don't know when.

There is some equipment in the Museum's former main yard at Thomaston Ave. and Commons Ct. in the North end of Waterbury. I don't think that the EL-C was put there.
I'll try to find where it is and pass it along.
Stewart
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

>> I'm a member of the Railroad Museum of New England and the museum owns one of the units in very faded Conrail blue<<

Hi Stewart. Does RMNE / Naugatuck RR still have the EL-C? It's not listed among the locomotives they own on their web site. I live in CT and was up in Thomaston in the spring. It was a weekday and the Naugatuck RR wasn't open, but I could overlook their shop from Waterbury Rd. and didn't see it. Is it indoors perhaps?

Rob Doorack