N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Tue Nov 27 09:58:17 EST 2012

Not to be forgotten, my list friends, is that the Southern ran their three
Lynchburg trains well after Amtrak started. Without looking up dates, the
Lynchburg Special (the remnant of the Birmingham Special or Tennessean) was
cancelled first. The Piedmont, an SR Washington/Atlanta (?) only train was next.
The Southern Crescent survived by becoming part of AMTRAK in the fall of '78.
The D&RGW was the only (I think)other RR to keep their regularly scheduled
passenger trains after AMTRAK.
Charlie Long
Charlie:

Southern also continued to operate the Trashville Special three days a week. It connected with

the Piedmonts at Salisbury and had a dome car N&W traded to Southern.. Even after Amtrak,
N&W operated the "Poor Boy" -- the Orland Park, IL to Chicago commuter service five days a week.
Harry Bundy