N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Tue Nov 27 10:54:13 EST 2012

I seem to remember Rock Island as the other hold out.

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Tue, November 27, 2012 6:03:42 AM
Subject: Re: N&W/Southern thru passenger service

Not to be forgotten, my list friends, is that the Southern ran their three
Lynchburg trains well after Amtrak started. Without looking up dates, the
Lynchburg Special (the remnant of the Birmingham Special or Tennessean) was
cancelled first. The Piedmont, an SR Washington/Atlanta (?) only train was next.
The Southern Crescent survived by becoming part of AMTRAK in the fall of '78.
The D&RGW was the only (I think)other RR to keep their regularly scheduled
passenger trains after AMTRAK.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg, VA