Boaz siding

Wed Dec 5 11:21:36 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Ron wrote:

> Mike,

> Take US460 East out of Roanoke to King Street. Turn right then follow King

> Street about 3/4 mile to Berkley Road on the left. Follow Berkley Road

> across the tracks then take an immediate left onto a gravel road. This will

> lead into the soccer fields of Vinyard Park. Follow the road to a parking

> lot. The siding was around the far end of the parking area.

> The area is known to locals as Berkley Bottoms.

Jeff also mentioned this location as the site of Boaz Siding. With two sons
who played traveling soccer, we made a number of visits to this soccer
complex. I seemed to remember that the tracks were pretty close to that
parking lot and there was an embankment of 6 to 8 feet from ground level to
trackside. I couldn't imagine massive trackwork being done when/after the
siding was removed, so I went digging. A 1933 topo map of Roanoke shows a
siding further east, closer to where Gus Nicks Bldv. crosses the tracks. I
put links to Jeff's Google map, a Goggle map of the possible location, a
photo I took at Vinyard of a meet, and the section of the topo map on a web
page for ease of viewing.

See http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/boaz.html to check out my rapid
research. Perhaps someone closer to that area can check out this location
to determine if the landscape lends itself to space for a siding.

Bruce in Blacksburg