Steam Days clips on the Peavine #602

Fri Sep 13 08:49:19 EDT 2013

Hi,
Greg Scholl here in Batavia, Ohio. Recently I acquired some N&W
films of a family friend who passed away maybe 40 years ago. He did
some traveling with my dad during the steam era, but only shot
tidbits. He had a machine tool business a block from the Batavia
depot, and would get notices from the agent on specials, etc. Anyway,
as most of you know steam passenger power ended in July 1959.

Question one(1). He has a shot of the last steam powered Arrow
eastbound stopping at Batavia. I could not make out the engine number
looking at the film. The note says Warren gets on the train. Warren,
would be my father Warren W. Scholl. This explains why he did not have
shots of the last run, cause he was riding. Anyway, what was the
date of this last run in July 1959.

Question(2). The film also has a note of #602 light engine, September
1959. This of course was after steam was removed from the Peavine to
Cincinnati. I recall two instances where light engines went
west to Cincinnati to pull extras(Troop trains). One was in the
evening(not sure of the month), and the other was on Thanksgiving day,
1959, as my dad and the two boys took off from the diner table to head
for Cincinnati and an eventual partial chase of the troop train, much
to mothers dismay leaving her with the two guests. Now the
interesting part of the film clip is the #602, since it is going
eastbound back toward Portsmouth, as a light engine. I had been
familiar with westbound light engines, mentioned above, but cannot
figure out what this move might have been. Someone once told me
there was rumor that a road foreman in Portsmouth decided to take a J
on a roundtrip from Portsmouth to Cincinnati and back, since he knew
the end was near for them, or some such. Could this move be that "Joy
Ride",
or was this something else. Anyone know anything about this, or other
extra moves after July 1959!

Thanks in advance.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com