Steam Days clips on the Peavine #602

Fri Sep 13 21:27:50 EDT 2013

According to my records, all Class Js, except 611 were listed as retired prior to September 1959. The 602 was retired at Bluefield on January 2, 1959, if I can read my writing correctly. The last three Js, in service were as follows:

610 was retired at Crewe, August 12, 1959
611, of course, October 24, 1959 at Shaffers Crossing
612 was retired at Lamberts Point, August 21, 1959

I think that, plus Louis' personal account would rule out any sort of "joy ride" not to mention the possible repercussions for such an event if anyone higher up found out, and I think you could pretty well count on that happening.

I believe that both 610 and 612 had sat idle for several months, out of service before being retired. We know the 611 was stored at Bluefield prior to being pulled out to run an Appalachian Power Company excursion in August of 1959, and finally the farewell trips in October.

Ken Miller