N&W Steam Final Revenue Run

Sat Jul 5 11:24:08 EDT 2014

Friday January 2 my father James Walter Woolwine  driving the "J" type
engine No.10 left Bristol at 1:05.enroute to Roanoke.His Fireman was
S.R.Patterson of Roanoke.Bristol Virginian-Tennessean newspaper dated
Friday January 3,1958.Please respond for more info on my father the
Engineer of #10.Dr.Sam E Woolwine 1634 Ryandale Rd. Richmond,Va.23238.Phone
804-740-4928.Email sew31vmi at gmail.com

wrote:

> Sam was still living a few years back in Florida. I think Ferrell's  just
> got the
> dates wrong for whatever reason. Funny how a cloud can appear on something
> that was always in stone.
>
> Larry Evans
> Kenova, WV

> Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:39 PM
>
> Subject: N&W Steam Final Revenue Run
>

>  Larry,  Thanks for sharing additional info and being willing to contact
>> Lloyd and Larry. I'm interested in what they have to say. Is Sam Noe still
>> living too?
>>
>> After my first reply, and upon closer investigation, there are photos
>> taken
>> at Kermit by Killoran (in Ferrell's book)and Fellure (in Spring 2008
>> Classic
>> Trains) obviously on the same day, at the same time, but the date given by
>> each author differs. Ferrell say the date was May 6th, Fellure says it was
>> April 21st.
>>
>> Maybe this helps in solving this mystery of 2154 or 2190. Looking forward
>> what you find out.
>>
>> John Garner
>> Newport, VA
>>
>> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:38:37 -0400
>> Subject: Re: N&W Steam Final Revenue Run
>>
>> Joseph
>>
>> All documentation I have seen concurs with what John Garner says here . I
>> don't know were Ferrell came up with 2154 I would like to know his source
>> .
>> I new John Killoran and remember him telling the stories about the last
>> days
>> him Larry Fellure , Dave Bond and others chaseing on the Kenova District
>> just never wrote any dates down. Unifortunuly John is no longer with us. I
>> had always thought none of these guys were actually there on  May 6 and
>> the
>> date and information came from fireman Sam Noe via Lloyd Lewis. I will
>> forward this to Lloyd and Larry see if they can shed any light on it
>>
>> Larry Evans
>> Kenova WV
>>

>> case----- Original Message -----
>> Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 1:32 PM
>> Subject: N&W Steam Final Revenue Run
>>

>>  Joseph,
>>>
>>> According to the majority of documentation that I've seen the final
>>> 'revenue' run under steam power occurred May 6th, 1960 on the 2nd Pigeon
>>> shifter from Williamson west to service the mines as far as Kermit
>>> including
>>> the Lenore Branch. The loco was Y6b #2190.
>>>
>>> However Mallory Ferrell, in his book Norfolk & Western, Steam's Last
>>> Stand,
>>> indicates that Y6 2154 made the final revenue run on May 6th on the 2nd
>>> Pigeon, stating that 2190 had operated earlier in the day on the 1st
>>> Pigeon
>>> shifter. His book includes numerous photos taken by John Killoran on the