Signals for dummies

Mon Jul 14 11:12:00 EDT 2014

A signal like the one in the attached photo is/was positioned at the end of
the siding at Tacoma, VA (visible as you are leaving the siding and going
back onto the single track main).  I'm interested in understanding how it
would be used and what the signal at that location coming from the other
direction would look like and how it is used.

I'd also be interested in any documentation explaining (again for dummies)
the various aspects and the rules associated with them.

Carl Woods

Richmond, VA