Signals for dummies

Mon Jul 14 13:48:23 EDT 2014

This is a typical signal at the end of a CTC siding.  The high signal at the left governs the main line; the lower signal at the right governs the siding.  At the other end of the siding the higher signal would be on the right, or main line, side.

The opposing signal beyond the switch would be equipped to show clear and approach for trains going up the main, and a diverging approach for a train entering the siding; in a special application it might be able to display a “restricting” indication to allow a movement into an occupied siding..  If no route is lined up, it would display “stop and stay”.

Ed King