Challenges / Rocky Mtn Express

Sun Feb 22 13:30:58 EST 2015

Another very interesting recent publication is "Waiting for the Cars". It
follows the construction of the Central Pacific up over the Sierra Nevada
and down to Promintory and Ogden in several hundred stereo views made by
Alfred Hart and Carleton Watkins. A two color viewing aid comes with the
book. All the stereo originals are shown on the facing page to the
two-color image that gives the 3D effect. In addition, the text is quite
detailed and explains the hurdles the crews had to overcome in the high
country and across the alkali desert.

Mike Pierry, Jr.