Large Format Photos

Mon Aug 8 21:51:25 EDT 2016

All three photos are of train 4, eastbound Pocohontas.  425 and 441 are two
of numerous photos made of train 4 during World War II when trains carried
extraordinary passenger loads.  That explains the extra heavyweight coaches
up front.  The headend mail and express would have moved in a seperate
section of train 4.  I don't know if first number 4 was the mail and express
section or the all passenger section.  The only lightweight cars in the
train would have been class Pm coaches.  The balance of the train was
heavyweight diner and Pullman sleepers.  Ken Miller's  "N&W Passenger
Service 1946-1971" has an excellent photo of The Pocahontas with this
consist pages 30-31.

Photo 427 is a later 1940's-1950's photo of train 4.  Number 4 was always
heavier with mail and express cars than westbound number 3.

If you look at the "inside" of the curve in photo 425, it sure looks like
double track roadbed.

--Rick Morrison