Locos at Clare OH early 1900s

Tue Aug 9 20:10:37 EDT 2016

> I don't have any information as to whether it helped or not.
Jim,
     Again, /"You can read about it in the N&WHS Newsletter Vol.6, No.
1, Jan. - Feb. 1990."
/I think the practice first started in England as I have read of it
being used on the "Saint" Class 4-6-0 locos around 1902. While the exact
appliance may not have survived, the principle did, in that it did help
preheat the water entering the boiler. And, it must have worked well
enough that the N&W went almost exclusively to top mount check valves.

Jimmy Lisle