when?

Wed Mar 1 10:09:12 EST 2017

Bill,

I have photos showing 500, 501, 502, and 503 in Tuscan paint with hamburger
heralds. There may have been others.

John Garner,  Newport VA

Bill

I cannot directly answer the question, but I suspect it was more than one
unit that was in tuscan with the "hamburger" herald. I know it was planned.
I think the plates began to come off as units were shopped and painted after
about 1962, as with most things it was not always an across the board
change.

Ken Miller

On Feb 27, 2017, at 10:48 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> This query got me thinking about another aspect of the painting schemes of
the passenger GP-9s.  On at least one unit, the transition from Tuscan Red
to Pevler Blue did not coincide with the change from Gothic Heralds to
?Hamburger? logos.

> On page 122 of the book ?Norfolk and Western Passenger Service 1946-1971?
is a color photo of GP-9 #501.  It?s painted Tuscan Red, but it has a
?Hamburger? logo on the cab side and hood end, not Gothic heralds.  Also,
the ?Hamburger? logo on the hood end is applied directly to the car body,
not a metal plate.