Domestic coal onesy-twosy handling question

Wed Mar 15 19:43:24 EDT 2017

Harry,

     This sounds very much like the movement of fresh fruit and
vegetables from the West & South-West. Load 'em up and send them off
toward Chicago or St. Louis and let the traders/brokers buy and sell
them as they move. reconsign as needed.
      Watching the N&W video of Lamberts Point, one gets the impression
that it was the highest grade of mine output. Can I assume commercial
coal was of a lesser quality? Though I see old newspaper ads touting
"Blue Star" coal, etc... At least from what I saw at the end of the home
& business consumption of coal, a coal yard could get nice lump
bituminous on one load and the next would be what we called "bug dust"
on the Great Lakes. The coal yards I saw received at least three types,
bituminous, briquets and anthracite. By the time I started as a yard
brakie at the very end of the NKP in 1964, I think I helped deliver
maybe 2 or 3 carloads of coal. I'm sure by 1966 that trade was dead in
Northern Ohio, as we went looking for some coal for one of my sisters
high school science class projects and we could find none for sale by
looking in the yellow pages.

     WJPowers