Domestic coal onesy-twosy handling question

Thu Mar 16 09:24:37 EDT 2017

Coal comes in different grades depending on its intended use and most mines
(after the mid-1920s) had  3 to 5 loading chutes to provide different sizes
of screened coal, such as slack, pea, nut, stove, egg, and lump. Price would
by mine and size since different mines and coal seams produced different
quality of coal based on chemical composition. As an example, page 350 of my
book “Coalwood” (available for the commissary), shows a price list for
domestic grade coal from five different mines operating in different in
different coal seams. Olga Coal from the Pocahontas seam sold nut coal for
$8.25/ton, stove coal for $9.25/ton, egg coal for $9.75/ton. General screen
sizes for grades of Bituminous coal were ¾-inch, 1-1/4 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch
and 4 inch for lump.

Mines also provided run-of-mine coal that could be unscreened or run over a
one inch screen.

The Norma Mine in Virginia sold egg coal for $8.90/ton, the Guaranty Mine
sold egg coal from the Elkhorn seam for $7.00/ton, the Calora Mine sold egg
coal from the Elkhorn seam for $7.60/ton and the Mary Ellen and Clover Fork
mines operating in the Harlan seam sold egg coal for $7.10/ton.

Besides size, coal was also classified for intended use as each use required
different chemical composition. Use classifications included Beehive coking,
bunkering, By-Product coking, Cement burning, domestic, export, illuminating
gas, locomotive fuel, melting, pulverizing, producer gas, Smithingk, steam,
tile and pottery burning, and water gas usage.

Most coal brokers advertised the mines, coal seams and trade names for the
coal they were selling. In 1930 Fort Dearborn Fuel Company had its general
sales office in the Royster Building in Norfolk, VA with branch offices and
agencies in Charleston WV, Tazewell VA, Halifax, Nova Scotia, London,
England and Genoa, Italy. General accounting office in Cincinnati. [The
office in Halifax might prompt a relook at the question about Newfoundland).
Their products included:

Green Valley Pocahontas Smokeless Domestic and Steam Coal from five mines on
the Dry Fork Branch operating in the Pocahontas seam and provided
run-of-mine coal..

Welch and Davy Sewell Seam Smokeless Steam Coal which was run-of-mine coal.

Dearborn Premium Smithing Coal which was delivered with an inspectors
certificate of uniform quality.

Semi-Smokeless domestic coal

Imperial Smokeless Pool One New River All-purpose Coal

Dearborn Dorothy Premium Splint Standard (Splint was a classification of
coal)

Three Star Prestonsburg Domestic and Steam

Splash dam High Grade By-Product Coal

Standard Gas Coking Coals

Certified Coal Briquettes

Every coal listed had its own chemical analysis that included moisture,
volatility, carbon, ash, sulphur, ash fusion point and BTU. Green Valley
Pocahontas chemical composition was by mine, the Welch and Davy Sewell coal
chemical, The Three Star Prestonsburg analysis was by run-of-mine, Egg and
Lump and nut and slack.

Coal brokers generally employed coal inspectors to ensure the quality of the
coal the broker was selling met the chemical analysis the broker was
advertising. As an example the Green Valley Pocahontas chemical analysis
included the disclaimer, “The coarseness of run-of-mine coal from the above
mines will average 42% when measured over 1 inch mesh screen. Individual
cars will run as high as 50% and as low as 40%.

Alex Schust

NW Mailing List