Gordon photo at Blake

Wed Apr 19 22:36:11 EDT 2017

Jimmy,

Joe is correct. Guard rails are hidden by the superelevation on the WB
Main and are not required on the slow-speed middle track.

Grant Carpenter

On 3/30/2017 7:28 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> I wonder what the reason is for the guard rails on the track in the
> foreground and none on the other tracks?
>
> Jimmy Lisle

Blake.

The footings for the water tank are still there, and there are still three bridges over the East River
right behind where the photographer was standing that would explain the guard rail. I suspect the far
main has one too that is just not visible due to angle.

Enter 37.303270, -81.069300  on google maps.

Jeff Hawkins asked:

>   Can anyone identify the location of this William Gordon photograph?  It
> was taken in August 1959.  It is presumed to be between Roanoke and
> Bluefield.
>
> Moderator:

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA