North Fork meat packing plant questions

Mon Dec 11 19:37:36 EST 2017

You're welcome--glad I could help. The livestock movements were too
early for my first-hand accounts and LCL was on the decline. Most of my
info is limited to post-WWII when the roads had improved such that
trucks gradually took over the LCL traffic. The refrigerator cars
returned empty. LCL that I'm aware of in the coalfields was delivered in
boxcars on local freight, passenger or mine runs or baggage cars, and
included perishables, but I do not know specifics of how perishables
were handled. Much depended on minimal time in transit.

I'm not sure, but these were two large national packing companies and
I'm guessing sourced livestock from large western suppliers in foreign
road cars until they figured out moving carcasses was more efficient.

Grant Carpenter