E2s in Local Freight Service

Wed Jul 4 13:52:08 EDT 2018

In June and July 1954 I was the "short-boom" operator on the right side
of the N&W weed spray train.  As we covered the N&W east of Williamson,
WV, we seemed to get whatever locomotive was available that day (Y's,
streamlined K2's, Z's, etc.).  One trip east out of Bluefield we had a
E2a pushing our work train (1 spray car, 4 tank cars of water, 2 tank
cars chemical, 1 shanty [oops, bunk] car and 1 caboose).  When we got to
a sharp curve on a stiff grade on the Potts Valley branch, the high
drivers on the E2a couldn't cope with the train resistance plus the rail
made wet by the spray car, and we stalled.  We had to back down the
branch without ever reaching Kerns at the end of the branch.  The E2's
were probably used on other work trains as needed.

Gordon Hamilton