Pusher vs. helper

Sun Aug 19 18:01:48 EDT 2018

Others have pointed out how in steam days on the N&W coal trains would
leave West Yard in Roanoke with a Class A road engine next to the train
and a Class Y6x helper in the front, and how a pusher engine would be
coupled on at Boaz siding to assist the two other engines for the climb
up to Blue Ridge where the pusher would cut off and return to Boaz while
the road engine and helper engine would proceed to Phoebe where the Y6x
helper engine would cut off leaving the high-drivered Class A road
engine to hurry the train on to Norfolk.  But, there is a bit more to
this operation that needs telling, because I experienced it while
working in the Shaffers Crossing roundhouse the summer of 1956.

For one thing, eastbound coal trains leaving West Yard almost
immediately faced an adverse grade of nearly 0.4% for about 3/4 mile,
ending at the Shaffers Crossing roundhouse, where the grade began
descending eastward.  This created a spectacle of sight and sound as the
engines came just a hundred feet of so from the open roundhouse windows
while attempting to accelerate the tonnage coal train on the ascending
grade.  The spectacle was so great that numerous roundhouse employees
would stop what they were doing and rush to the open windows to see the
show.  These were not railfans, but machinists, pipefitters,
electricians, laborers, etc.  They were simply people who were
fascinated by the raw power of these mighty machines, and many also
probably felt more than a little pride in their role in helping to make
it all work.

On occasions there would be a train of empty hopper cars parked on a
track between the roundhouse and the track used by the coal train,
completely blocking the view of the departing coal train as seen from
the lower elevation of the roundhouse floor.  On those occasions only
the strong exhaust smoke from the engines would be visible over top of
the hopper cars, and I observed something unusual.   There was a
difference between the way the two engines discharged their smoke.  The
road engine would discharge its smoke straight up whereas the helper
engine would discharge its smoke upward /and forward/.  I eventually
learned that the Class Y6x exhaust nozzle and stack were angled 10
degrees forward in order to clear the front-end throttle and superheater
header mounted near the top of the smoke box behind the stack, whereas
the Class A smoke box arrangement allowed the convention vertical nozzle
and exhaust stack.  I am just glad that I had the experience shortly
before the drama disappeared forever.

Gordon Hamilton

On 8/11/2018 11:40 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> I had not planned to chime in on this one, as I thought it rather a
> one-off question.  But others seem to be perplexed, as well, and the
> nice disquisition by Senator Grantonius Carpenterensis leads me to
> chip in my mite.
>

> Many, many moons ago, I asked men who had  hired circa 1906 about the
> operation of Class W assisting engines between Roanoke and
> Christiansburg. Their answers I published to this List some years
> ago.  One element of that information was that, between Elliston and
> Christiansburg, engines assisting ahead were termed Helpers, and those
> assisting from behind were called Pushers.
>

> My regret is that I could never find a man who had worked over
> Schooler Hill, before the Walton Cut-Off was opened in 1902.  "Born
> too late," I suppose...  Does anyone have an extra ticket on a Time
> Machine ?
>

> -- abram burnett, dilettante
>
>         a minore ad maius

---