Buck Stewart (Stuart ?) - Usher at Roanoke Station

Mon Aug 20 13:48:09 EDT 2018

Thanks Dave

This makes it a lot easier to find. So my question for the rest of the list is how many “Usher” positions were on the railroad. One of the cap badges I have in my collection is an N&W usher badge.

I’m guessing that Mr. Stewart might have gotten injured in the line of duty as he was an Usher from sometime in 1922, when he was 33-34 years old.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83480357/harry-tucker-stewart <https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83480357/harry-tucker-stewart>

Norfolk and Western Magazine, November 1963, page 491

Colorful Train CallerHonored With Award
Harry T. Stewart, well-known usher and train caller at the Roanoke Passenger Station for many years, was honored with the Veterans Association Diamond Insignia on October z5. The Insignia was presented by General Superintendent R. F. Dunlap in a special ceremony in his office.
Mr. Stewart, whose unique manner of calling trains is a highlight of "The Sounds of Steam Railroading", a recording produced by O. Winston Link, had served the railway for more than 53 ½ years. He started with the N&W in June, 1905 at West Roanoke Shop and later worked as locomotive fireman on Roanoke Terminal and the Norfolk Divi­sion. He served as usher at the passenger station for nearly 36 years preceding his retirement in 1959.
Thanking Mr. Stewart for his half-century of service, Mr. Dunlap congratulated him upon receiving the railway's highest award for long and faithful service.

Photo was included

Retirements N&W Magazine, April 1949, page 197

Harry Tucker Stewart ... Usher. .................. Roanoke Terminals ....... 3202 Woodlawn Ave., S. W., Roanoke, Va .... . 1-1-1959

Ken Miller