Car Hoist

Mon Jan 21 18:56:25 EST 2019

Bob Cohen

Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm going to have to hunt up a copy of Mason Cooper's book.
You are spot on with your observation that SVRR/N&W were not the only railroads that had to use a car hoist to deal with two different gauges. R.P.C. said that before they built the hoist in Roanoke he "was sent out to all the important interchange stations to get a line on the best way to handle the problem. By the time the first advertised through-train came into Roanoke via the Shenandoah Valley, we were ready with a power car hoist to lift the Pullman car bodies off their tracks and run 5-foot trucks under them. It required a specially laid out service yard with tracks of both compromise gauges, special guard rails and a separate turntables." So, they weren't doing anything unique, but they did check out "best practice" at other interchanges before building the hoist in Roanoke.

Peter Getz
Rockwall, Texas