Bus Service along the N&W in VA and WV 1950s

Wed May 15 14:18:52 EDT 2019

Yes, Consolidated Bus Lines, whose motto stenciled on its buses was
"Serving West Virginia's Billion Dollar Coal Fields," had runs between
Bluefield and Roanoke (that I rode on a couple of occasions in the late
'40s) and other runs west to places like Welch.  The owner was Jack
Craft as I recall.  He made a large contribution to the Bluefield, WV,
public library, which is known today as the Craft Memorial Library.
Incidentally, I was told that one of my mother's cousins was a driver
for Consolidated until he was let go, reportedly because of a heavy foot
on the accelerator.

Gordon Hamilton

On 5/15/2019 11:49 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> "Consolidated Bus Lines" served the coal fields during the '40's and
> maybe early '50's. It became part of Trailways in the '50's, and was
> know initially as "Consolidated Trailways." Greyhound also worked some
> routes out of Bluefield, mostly north and south.
>
> Jim Nichols
>
> On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 6:24:02 AM CDT, NW Mailing List via
> NW-Mailing-List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
>

> Between Greyhound and Trailways, which company serviced communities
> along the N&W from Roanoke to Williamson in the 1950s?   I recall that
> Trailways covered the Blacksburg to Roanoke segment in 1959and into
> the early 1960s, but I never used buses any further west.  There's a
> new 1:87 PD-4104 available in both Greyhound and Trailways schemes and
> I'm trying to figure out which one to buy
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave Stephenson

---