Bus Service along the N&W in VA and WV 1950s

Thu May 16 09:05:18 EDT 2019

 Thanks for all the responses.  I'll be getting in line for the Trailways version of the PD4104.  It looks like a decent model from various photos.

Dave Stephenson

Yes, Consolidated Bus Lines, whose motto stenciled on its buses was "Serving West Virginia's Billion Dollar Coal Fields," had runs between Bluefield and Roanoke (that I rode on a couple of occasions in the late '40s) and other runs west to places like Welch.  The owner was Jack Craft as I recall.  He made a large contribution to the Bluefield, WV, public library, which is known today as the Craft Memorial Library.  Incidentally, I was told that one of my mother's cousins was a driver for Consolidated until he was let go, reportedly because of a heavy foot on the accelerator.

Gordon Hamilton