SD60s

Mon Jul 8 12:39:47 EDT 2019

And we can’t forget Mathieson Alkali at Saltville and US Gypsum at Plasterco . . .

EdKing

Sent: Monday, July 08, 2019 9:48 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: SD60s

It wasn't the age of the plants that closed them (though age and MW output were factors in the selection of specific plants to close).  It was the cost to modify them to meet the ever changing EPA regulations.

Ed Painter, member #70 from Narrows, VA living in Cohutta, GA

AEP's News Release
AEP would shutter 5 coal plants to meet EPA rules
June 9, 2011 by Ken Ward Jr.
This announcement just out from American Electric Power, in response to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s proposed rules to reduce hazardous air pollutant emissions from power plants:

Based on the regulations as proposed, AEP’s compliance plan would retire nearly 6,000 megawatts (MW) of coal-fueled power generation; upgrade or install new advanced emissions reduction equipment on another 10,100 MW; refuel 1,070 MW of coal generation as 932 MW of natural gas capacity; and build 1,220 MW of natural gas-fueled generation. The cost of AEP’s compliance plan could range from $6 billion to $8 billion in capital investment through the end of the decade.

Specifically, the AEP release says:

— AEP’s current plan for compliance with the rules as proposed includes permanently retiring the following coal-fueled power plants:

— Glen Lyn Plant, Glen Lyn, Va. – 335 MW (retired by Dec. 31, 2014);

— Kammer Plant, Moundsville, W.Va. – 630 MW (retired by Dec. 31, 2014) (pictured above)

— Kanawha River Plant, Glasgow, W.Va. – 400 MW (retired by Dec. 31, 2014);

— Phillip Sporn Plant, New Haven, W.Va. – 1,050 MW (450 MW expected to retire in 2011, 600 MW retired by Dec. 31, 2014); and

— Picway Plant, Lockbourne, Ohio – 100 MW (retired by Dec. 31, 2014).

  Hear, hear !    Outstanding rationalization & commentary. Nothing offensive at all,   Ed  &  Ed.     ( Cool story about Frank Collins)
  I stand in good company.

  Best Regards
  R. ervine
  Radford VA.

    Ed, as usual your comments were great!

    In America we are suppose to have the right to express different opinions on political issue.  Freedom of speech and expression were among the hallmarks of our founders.  The mission of the EPA  is very political and rightfully subject to scrutiny and opinion.  There is an absolute need to protect the environment and citizens from hazards and dangers associated with certain pollutants being admitted into the atmosphere or into rivers and streams or into the ground. Yet many of us over time some the actions taken by the EPA have become overzealous and constitute overreach. .  Go to SWVA or Southern WV or Eastern KY and ask an unemployed coal miner for their opinion about the EPA.  Ask the citizens of communities like Glen Lyn, VA where the EPA has shut down a power plant and see what they think.

    I'm insulted by the EPA.

    Ed Painter - member #70 from Narrows, VA (lived in Glen Lyn from 1955 to 1962) currently living in Cohutta, GA

      Well I'm insulted.

      To the moderator, please remove me from the list.

      Thanks.

      Mike Weeks

        Those of us who remember the steam era, with its coal smoke and exultant, loud exhausts, wonder how the emissions of a bunch of SD60s threaten the health of all of us.  Those of us who ran passenger GP9s (Redbirds) with the exhaust from the steam generators blowing down into the cab also wonder.  We’re still here.

        Reminds me of the late Frank Collins running the 611 one day and listening to the young engineer complaining that the engine was hot, dirty and “you can’t see out of it”.  Frank enjoyed as much of that as he could stand and told the engineer “the railroad bujilt these engines back when they were hiring MEN to run their trains for them”.  That settled that.

        Ed King