Time change

Tue Feb 18 19:26:42 EST 2020

In the mid-1970’s a large part of the state of Indiana did not observe daylight savings time.  When the rest of the country was on daylight savings time, the Muncie Division was faced with having to contend with three different times.  Eastbound trains out of Frankfort operated on Eastern Daylight Savings Time and westbound trains from Frankfort operated on Central Daylight Savings Time.  The Frankfort shop operated on Frankfort City time (Eastern Standard) while the Master Mechanic’s office observed Eastern Daylight in order to meet reporting times at headquarters.

As I recall, the Decatur Division used EDST east of Peru and CDST west of Peru.

I remember at least one supervisor that wore two wristwatches.

W.E. Honeycutt

    How does a crew running west across a time zone acknowledge the change? Is there a  clock in the cab that must be adjusted?

    Mike Pierry, Jr.